Monday, July 6, 2015

$0 Sofa Makeover

Alternate Title: My best Craigslist find EVER.

Anyone who loves vintage and retro furniture (me! MEEEE!!!) knows that:
1.     The best treasures always show up when you least expect it.
2.     You will NEVER find the things you really need, and
3.     You must, must, MUST keep one eyeball on Craigslist at all times.

I don’t make the rules, but I follow them religiously.

Well, I had been doing an extra good job lately and it paid off in a big way. I scored quite possibly the best vintage find of my hoarding career: A stunning vintage Ethan Allen Mid-Century Modern sofa in pumpkin. Pumpkin!!!!

I kid you not, when I went to pick it up, I nearly broke into tears. It was just so. beautiful.

cheap sofa makeover

I took her home, aired her out, vacuumed her cushions and got all up under that skirt. Ow! Ow!

And you know what I realized? This pretty lady didn’t want to wear that stuffy, floor grazing skirt anymore. She wanted to show off those legs!!!

And what beautiful gams they were. The most perfect little 1960s stems I ever did see. Not a blemish in sight.

So I grabbed my needle nose pliers and spent the next several hours pulling out every G.D. staple until my fingers bled.


Do you know what people in the 1960s liked even more than drinking stiff cocktails at 10 o'clock in the morning? Staples. They clearly LOVED staples more than anything in the world.

sofa before after

But it was so worth it. Because she’s even more gorgeous than before. And she’s mine. Aaaall mine.

mid century couch

mod sofa

3 comments:

  1. Carrie, she is beautiful and the story is hilarious! Freaking awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is so great, Carrie! I would have never thought to remove the skirt of a couch. Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete