Monday, July 6, 2015

Basement Inspiration

basement makeover

Our basement renovation got pushed up a few years thanks to the most terrifying torrential downpour of my lifetime a few months ago. The basement carpet got completely soaked which, if you’ve never had the pleasure, smells a little like death and a lot like a locker room full of middle school boys who just hit puberty. It is not pleasant.

Luckily my sweet, patient and very strong husband tore it all out when I was at work. In his words, “You would’ve barfed.” I don’t doubt that for one second. My gag reflex is even stronger than my need for acceptance.

Needless to say, I’ve been doing a lot of pinning lately in an attempt to find some basement inspiration.

We’ve been going back and forth on whether or not to paint the wood paneling. Sometimes I’m all for it, other times (lately especially), I think we should just embrace the groovy 1960s vibes and go all Blast From the Past nuclear fallout shelter with it. I mean it was Brendon Fraser's only good movie.

basement makeover
Source: dougandgenemeyer.com
Come on! How cool does this wood paneling look?

Source: flickriver.com
 More awesome wood paneling. Killer furniture and rad artwork, too.

Source: NYTimes.com
 Recognize this mod dream? The New York apartment of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Draper, of course!

Source: dailymail.co.uk
 Loving everything about this. Particularly that fireplace!

Source: ilovedomestica.com
And lusting over all of the yummy colors here. Note that it looks like they opted to paint their paneling.

So what do you think? Let the 60s live on or bring it into the 2010s? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

2 comments: